Friday, November 2, 2012

What's Cookin in the Community Garden?

The American Community Garden Association (ACGA) defines community garden as any piece of land gardened by a group of people. The definition is quite broad but it can be urban, suburban or even rural. There can be all kinds of things planted there, flowers or vegetables are okay. There can be one great plot for the collective group or many individual plots. There are also situations where land is just there for the taking and if someone wants to plant they can do just that. 
As I researched I found out there are so many benefits from having a community garden. The first and most important is that it can improve the quality of life for all individuals involved with the garden. It also gives the chance to create and stimulate economic opportunities and development. There are so many positives about community gardens, that I'm surprised there isn't more advocacy for them. For example, my high school had a community garden back in Texas but other than that I didn't know of many. Which is quite odd for one of the biggest cities in the nation. Not to say there aren't any in the city of Houston, just not any that I was aware of. I just feel as if in such big areas community gardens could produce very positive results for the population.
I was curious to see how many community gardens were in the Macon,GA area and to my surprise I came up with 5; three within the city of Macon, another in Milledgeville and one more in Thomaston. This actually made me one to join one and make a plot of my own. Especially after our class visit. Smelling and seeing those fresh crops just gave me this good and wholesome feeling.
This video explains and shows how great a community garden can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment